Tao Te Ching, Verse III: Celebrate Everyone

Tao Te Ching, Verse III: Celebrate Everyone

A collection of taoist symbols including a yin yang amulet, a yin yang symbol, and two temples.


In Software Engineering, I don't think that we should put some people above others.

One of the greatest aspects of being a software engineer is being humble and we should cherish this.

If we place way too much emphasis on glorifying certain engineers, we take away from the talents of others. 

It is for this reason that terms such as "10x" engineer or "rockstar engineer" can be problematic (a lot has been said about this but it is outside of the scope of this blog post). If we place too much emphasis on the glory of becoming a Staff Engineer, then people will not enjoy the journey (or even just on becoming a Senior).

Edit: and also a Staff Engineer recently once told me (or reminded me) that Staff Engineers get to code less. Booo!!! This is rubbish!!! What a shame.

We are here to enjoy the journey

We are here to enjoy the journey. 

A former colleague once told me that a crazy-senior ex-colleague of ours once told him: don't rush to becoming a senior. Focusing on learning things along the way.

Enjoy the fact that when you are a junior, you get more support. Certainly the support I get is a huge highlight of the job.

I will miss it when it's gone.

And in this world where everyone emphasises growth for the sake of growth, progress for the sake of progress... the thought of being happy where you are is a beautiful one. I decided from the moment I knew that I was meant to be a software engineer and destined to be a software engineer that I already was a software engineer - and therefore there was nothing to become.

Having confidence in who you are and taking pride in who you are eliminates competition

If I am already who I am meant to be and you are already who you are meant to be then how can there be any competition? How can I be better than you or you be better than me? If everyone is already on their perfect path, and on their perfect journey, then how can anyone be better than anyone? It is the same with companies.

A huge amount of people approach me wanting to work where I work now. This is nice but there cannot be a place for everyone right now especially at entry level. So why exalt one company? Why not appreciate the fact that there are loads of amazing companies to work and that everyone will find the job that is meant for them? There is more than enough for everybody to go around. Everyone will find their destiny.

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 3

Not exalting the gifted prevents quarrelling.
Not collecting treasure prevents stealing.
Not seeing desirable things prevents confusion of the heart.

The wise therefore rule by emptying hearts and stuffing bellies,
     by weakening ambitions and strengthening bones.
If people lack knowledge and desire,
     then intellectuals will not try to interfere.
If nothing is done, then all will be well


P.S. I would like to recommend a great Zen track

It has been helping me with the transition back from my meditation retreat and into reality

It has been helping me to deal with everything: 

If you are reading this I hope the love in this song will pour into your heart. I wish you all the peace and love in the universe and all the blessings.

May you truly prosper. May you truly only know peace and love and happiness.

May you know that you are love itself. 💙💚💜💙 🏞

🏞🏞

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tao Te Ching, Verse II: Make Your Work Impersonal

Tao Te Ching, Verse IV: Become Completely Empty