Tao Te Ching, Verse XIV: Everything That Is Done From Love Is Eternal

Tao Te Ching, Verse XIV: Everything That Is Done From Love Is Eternal

One of my favourite songs is "invisible string" by Taylor Swift. I feel that way about software engineering and my career. A secret invisible string tying me there and leading me all the way.

Because everything I did along the way was so perfect, and I can see it now.

Getting led to the hydroelectric dams when I was 15 was so perfect. Doing two masters degrees in renewable energy was so perfect. Taking up coding when I was 28 (or rather, going absolutely mad, and falling in love with it straight away, and committing to it for life within two months) was so perfect. It all led me to where I am: a renewable energy and water tech software engineer. And how proud I am to be here.

A pink background of sakura flowers and reddish smoke on the sides. Text in pink and red reads in a swirly font: whatever happens in love is eternal.


"An Unbroken Thread Beyond Description"

Let me make one thing very clear to you please. My love for software engineering is "an unbroken thread beyond description." My love for software engineering is "withstanding all the time, changes and seasons." Because I too have had days where I have felt demotivated. And I can count them on less then the fingers of my two hands.

And most of all I try to be consistent within my actions.

You can look at the blog posts - over 400 in less than two years.

You can look at the LinkedIn posts - I post nearly every day - I often post multiple times a day. 

All for the love of software engineering. 

All for the love of God. Actions speak louder than words.

I can have good days.

I can have bad days.

I can have days when I get things wrong.

But I can never remember a day where I didn't post when I had an idea. I can never remember a day when I didn't share my daily software engineering learnings of the day on LinkedIn when I had something I needed to share I had learned. I cannot remember a day when I didn't blog about software engineering when it was possible for me to do so.

"One Single Thread Of Gold Tied Me To You"

It is only from emptiness that my love like this could arise.

My love can only arise from nothingness.

It is only from nothingness that my love like this could arise.

And back to nothingness it will go one day.

But... it is not really nothingness. It is... everything.

And everything that is done from love is eternal anyway.

A beautiful video I wanted to share



Thank you.

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 14

Look, it cannot be seen - it is beyond form.
Listen, it cannot be heard - it is beyond sound.
Grasp, it cannot be held - it is intangible.
These three are indefinable;
Therefore they are joined in one.

From above it is not bright;
From below it is not dark:
An unbroken thread beyond description.
It returns to nothingness.
The form of the formless,
The image of the imageless,
It is called indefinable and beyond imagination.

Stand before it and there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.
Stay with the ancient Tao,
Move with the present.

Knowing the ancient beginning is the essence of Tao.

A screenshot of the poem listed above.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tao Te Ching, Verse II: Make Your Work Impersonal

Tao Te Ching, Verse III: Celebrate Everyone

Tao Te Ching, Verse VI: Go With The Flow